Engine noise from vehicles
- Light Commercial Van
- Engine noise
- Technical Specification (Requirement Specifications)
The main purpose of the environmental criterion is to reduce engine noise from vehicles in built-up areas with low speed limits and thus contribute to a better residential environment. The criterion is also meant to encourage innovation since the vehicle that satisfies the requirement is a zero-emissions vehicle.
The vehicle must be a zero-emissions vehicle (electric or hydrogen vehicle).
Documentation of the Requirement Specification:
Information about noise emissions is not readily available.
The tenderer can document the noise level per vehicle model as specified in EU type-approval. The information that must be stated can be found under "Test results" and "Sound level of moving vehicle: dB(A)".
Information about the Requirement Specification:
The vehicles that fulfil this requirement are zero-emissions vehicles because the level of noise from zero-emissions cars is lower than that from vehicles with other drive trains.
Use of the requirement requires the buyer to carry out a market analysis prior to the procurement to secure a sufficient number of tenders. This can be done, for example, through a dialogue with the market or innovative procurement methods. There must be a sufficient number of vehicles on the market that satisfy the technical requirements for the vehicle to ensure genuine competition.
Use of the requirement assumes that the vehicles (first and foremost electric cars) fulfil the needs of the user. For example, it is important to assess needs with respect to range, tow bar and four-wheel drive. The necessary filling and charging infrastructure must also be available.
Remember that requirements and criteria must be followed up. Guidance can be found on Difi's website, "Kontraktsoppfølging" (In Norwegian)
- Regulation on vehicle and trailer approval (Vehicle Regulation), Annex 1
- EU Regulation 540/2014 of the sound level of motor vehicles and of replacement of silencing systems, Annex 3
- Overview of charging stations for electric cars in Norway
- Overview of filling stations for biogas in Norway and the Nordic region
- Overview of filling stations for hydrogen in Norway
- Difi's environmental calculator for local climate and environmental objectives (In Norwegian)
- Guidance of contract follow-up (in Norwegian)